Strategic Directions of the Office of Social and Economic Data Analysis
At OSEDA we strive to transform data into useful information. We believe the construction of meaningful information is an inherently collaborative enterprise. We believe "information" arises from "data" when facts are focused honestly on questions of interest to audiences, especially for decision-making. Therefore, we strive to engage our audiences seeking communication from many perspectives.
As part of the University of Missouri, we honor the public trust placed in our institution and accept our responsibility to be effective stewards of that trust. We also acknowledge our land-grant legacy and our duty to acquire, create, transmit and preserve knowledge and to promote understanding. We embrace MU's values of Respect, Responsibility, Discovery and Excellence. In particular, we foster:
- Accessibility — Public data and information should be readily accessible.
- Collaboration — Collaborative engagement is essential in the meaningful construction of information and knowledge.
- Accountability — We are thoughtful stewards of resources — accountable to ourselves, each other, and the publics we serve.
- Excellence — Excellence is achieved through the diligent individual and collaborative efforts of a skilled and experienced team of faculty and staff.
- Trust — Trustworthy relationships and credible information are essential for sound policy development and decision-making.
OSEDA enhances public and private decision-making — we help enlighten choices.
OSEDA collaborates with partners in the analysis of social and economic data in ways that contribute to improvements in the well-being of people, enterprises and communities.
- Improving the quality of public education.
- Improving state and local government services.
- Improving the health status of people.
- Improving the social strength of communities.
- Improving the capacity for economic development.
- Publish analyses and reports, develop web applications and make public presentations.
- Conduct collaborative research and demonstration initiatives regarding priority issues that have clear objectives, audiences, products, budgets, and timelines.
- Develop and sustain strong public and private partnerships.
- Focus on the needs of Missourians while encouraging a global perspective.
- Foster excellence in formative and summative evaluative research.
- Sustain and share a robust information technology infrastructure including data, data management systems, data analysis systems, and communication systems.
- Sustain a highly skilled staff and engage faculty from throughout the university.